I'm being told that the Tax ID number is either missing, invalid or inactive. What do I do?

A Tax ID is normally required for shipments going into the US that require a formal entry (for more information, please visit:

Missing Tax ID:

If you did not provide a Tax ID number, you will need to get one and provide it to the carrier so that they can attempt to clear it for customs again.

Invalid or Inactive Tax ID:

If you have provided a tax id and the carrier is coming back and informing you that the tax id provided is invalid or inactive, the first thing to do is check to ensure that it is indeed correct.

If the number is correct than the tax id provided is most likely inactive. When it is inactive, the receiver must complete a CBP Form 5106 and either fax or email it to the carrier with reference to the tracking number.  This form is used to register the receiver's business (in the US) for import/export and without it, the package will not clear custom.


The site and page is for informational purposes only and does not provide legal advice. Materials on this website are published by Secureship to provide visitors with free information regarding the laws and policies described. However, this website is not designed for the purpose of providing legal advice to individuals. Visitors should not rely upon information on this website as a substitute for personal legal advice. While we make every effort to provide accurate website information, laws can change and inaccuracies happen despite our best efforts. If you have an individual legal problem, you should seek legal advice from an attorney in your own state.

Have more questions? Submit a request
Powered by Zendesk